You must have noticed how essential oils are being used in so many fields around you, in your day to day life. There are so many varieties of these oils and each of them has peculiar properties which makes them the best for a particular kind of application. We know that these oils can be used as part of aromatherapy, internal consumption, topical application and external uses. We also know that these oils are priced quite high and that we need to invest a lot of time and effort in deciding the oil that we want to purchase for ourselves. If you have a baby at home, you might be tempted to introduce your kid to the goodness of these oils. However, you need to remember that babies have very sensitive skin and they will not be able to bear the grunt/allergies of essential oils when applied directly. When it comes to essential oils and babies, there are two points that you need to remember always. They are:
- You should never give essential oils for babies for internal consumption.
- You should always dilute essential oils with other oils before using them for your kids.
- Essential oils are not recommended for babies 3 months or lower.
On this note, let us look at some basic information regarding applying essential oils on babies:
- When you mix essential oils in the water while bathing your kid, never pour the oil directly into the water. Always, mix it with a carrier oil or base oil to form a thin diluted solution and then mix this in the water. Never allow this solution to touch your baby’s face, eyes or nose areas, as it can cause instant irritation and skin rashes for your kid. Coconut, olive, almond, avocado and all other delicate oils prove to be greater carrier oils for essential oils.
- Refrain from using essential oils if your kids are prone to bronchitis, respiratory infections or other problems like Asthma. The aroma and characteristics of these oils can aggravate respiratory ailments, doing more harm than good for your kids.
- If your kid has accidentally consumed essential oils, do not induce vomiting in him/her. You have to seek medical help immediately. While explaining to your doctor about the problem, you should clearly state the type of essential oil that your kid swallowed, so that it aids the doctor in diagnosing your kid’s condition in a better way.
Some oils that are good for kids aged between 3 and 6 months
- Roman Chamomile (Anthemis Nobilis)
- German Chamomile (Matricaria rectutita)
- Lavender (Lavendula angustifolia)
- Blue Yarrow (Archillea millefolium)
Some oils that work on kids aged between 6 months and 2 years
- Bergamot (Citrus Bergamia)
- Cedar wood (Cedrus Atlantica, Cedrus deodara, Juniperus Virginiana)
- Coriander (Coriandrum Sativum)
- Grapefruit (Citrus Paradisi)
- Lemon (Citrus Limon)
- Palma Rosa (Cymbopogon martini)
Of the many oils that are suitable for kids under 2 years, only a few are mentioned in this list. It is recommended to check with your kid’s paediatrician and then take a calculated decision about your choice of oil.